Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Countdown to the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con (Part I)

Before each year’s San Diego Comic-Con, I like to provide a behind-the-scenes look at my preparations for the show. Below is my first entry for this year’s Comic-Con, scheduled July 12-15, 2012.

For once, I’m ahead of the game in my preparations for this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. Like a lot of publishers, I often work until the very last moment preparing a book for release at the show, pushing my printer’s deadlines to the limits. But this year I shipped the book off to the printer with plenty of time to spare, which gave me time to focus on other plans for the show.

First on the agenda was a new booth banner for the show. Below is the one that’s been in use since 2008....


And the new one that will debut at this year’s Comic-Con....



I planned to update my banner last year, but time ran out before I had a chance to conceptualize, let alone execute, a new design. I was very happy with the earlier banner, but thought that the light-colored background of the banner got lost in the convention hall. I think that the straightforward solid black background of the new banner will pop out more.

Though I didn't have a specific design in mind when I began planning the new banner, since I liked the shot of Rob on the cover Rob Hanes Adventures #13 turned out well, I decided to develop the new banner around it. Below is the original digital image that was submitted to the printer.



I originally planned to use the figures from the Rob Hanes Adventures trade paperback (as seen on right) as the focus of the banner, but I found that the three figures made for a busy design. Bold and simple seemed the best way to go!

No comments: