Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Found Footage from SDCC 2010!

My 5-year-old son appeared on a tv news story about Comic-Con in 2010, and I didn't know about it until last night!!!


So last night, I wanted to play something in the background that wouldn't require my focus, while I did some work. Looking for something on YouTube, I came across a random piece posted by the CBS television news affiliate in San Diego—it appeared to be an hour-long special about the history of the San Diego Comic-Con that dropped during the convention a few weeks ago. (It's 40 minutes, so I'm assuming that was without the commercials).

The opening had what I thought was a fairly brief yet grounded history of Comic-Con, followed by a series of reports from different years and decades of Comic-Con.

The story they included from a 2010 broadcast suddenly made me yell out, "Oh my God!" in delighted surprise. For there on the screen was my then 5-year old son being interviewed (he even gives his name) dressed as Batman. The reporter seemed quite smitten with him lol. He's even wearing a Rob Hanes Adventures pin button! (Btw, our son just turned 18 a few months ago). I only have a vague recollection of being told that he had been interviewed by some news reporter on the floor during the show, but wasn't present myself, and had never seen it nor knew whether anything had ever aired. We think that's my brother (not my wife) holding his hand. Of course, I immediately called out to my wife and son to come watch.

If I recall this incident correctly, I think they cut the best part of the interview. Apparently, the reporter asked him, "Who's your favorite superhero?" To which I was told he replied, "SUPERMAN!"
Below is the 16 second clip from the piece that I recorded and saved for posterity.


[Update: In quickly scanning the show again, I just noticed that the 1996 segment does a quick pan of the Independent Comics area—just past my own booth that year, since it starts with cartoonist BC Boyer, who I shared a booth with and was neighbors with a few years during this period. At the end of the pan shot, you can see cartoonist/artist Paul Pope.]

No comments: