Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Welcome to my life's soundtracks....

Anyone who glances at my musical interests will notice I have pretty broad tastes, ranging from the Beatles, the Rat Pack, jazz, j-pop, '60s lounge, rock, showtunes, and movie soundtracks. I've also got a pretty high tolerance for kitsch—I must admit I sometimes genuinely enjoy it for what it is, not necessarily because "it's so bad it's good." With that in mind, I decided to start mixing things up in this blog by interspersing my commentaries with some fun music clips for your listening enjoyment. Since the Beatles has always been my favorite band of all time (I discovered them when I was about 7 or 8), I thought it appropriate to kick things off with this clip of a Japanese Beatles tribute band. When my wife and I went to Tokyo for our honeymoon back in 2000, one of our most memorable nights was at a small club that specialized in Beatles tribute bands. It was a kick to listen to the bandmembers banter between songs in Japanese (which we don't understand), then launch into a note-and-phonetic-perfect performance of a Beatles song. (The audience was allowed to submit requests, and we requested one of my personal all-time favorite Beatles' songs, "And Your Bird Can Sing.") Anyhoo, without any further ado... "The BeaTrips!" (For the real thing and a bonus video, go to my MySpace page, under musical interests.)

2 comments:

benton jew said...

Great clip! The "John Lennon" really looks like a Japanese John! Cool!

Randy @ WCG Comics said...

When we went to the Beatles tribute nightclub in Japan, the lead singer looked exactly like John Lennon from his Let It Be period--except he was Japanese! I can't remember the name of the club, but I remember once finding its website online. I couldn't find it just now doing a quick search in Google, but if I find it, I'll post the link for it.