Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Countdown to San Diego 2009/Part 3: Program Art

Visit WCG Comics at the San Diego Comic-Con 2009
Booth S14 in the Small Press Pavilion

(off of Aisle 1400, Exhibition Hall B1/B2)


Every year I try to contribute a piece to the souvenir program of the San Diego Comic-Con. (My contributions from 2008, 2007, and 2005 are still available online honoring, respectively, the 25th anniversary of American Flagg!, the centenary of Milton Caniff, and Will Eisner.)

This year, I chose the 75th anniversary of 1934 as my theme—1934 was the year that saw the debut of classic strips like Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim, Little Abner, Mandrake the Magician, Red Barry, Secret Agent X-9, and Terry and the Pirates, and is considered a watershed year for the newspaper adventure strip. As you can see, I took full advantage of the fact that the program accepted art contributions in full color for the first time.

(Click on the image to see it full size.)


1 comment:

Bob Westal said...

I think this one might be my favorite that you've done of these over the years. Of course, I'm not 100% familiar with all the styles you seem to be pretty nicely homaging there but that Red Barry guy looks like someone I wouldn't entrust the care of small animals too. Something "Of Mice and Men" about that one.